Friday, October 22, 2004

Pattern Recognition: Oct 22. 2004

I mean what is normal? I have been back since Sunday morning and it is now Friday afternoon. The whole week has flown and crawled by, all at the same time...
Monday I had dinner with the "girls" at a very interesting place in the Hague where we sampled items such as kangaroo, crocodile (it does taste a bit like chicken) and gazelle amongst other more normal items from the menu. We were there to say good bye to my dear friend Jen, who will be moving back to Vancouver shortly.. I shall dearly miss her here both at work and at play. Still I know that one day I too shall be returning to Vancouver. It was just so nice to have someone who understands where you come from both physically and mentally.
Tuesday I went to work, still pretty tired and out of sorts.
A while ago I read a book by Canadian author William Gibson called Pattern Recognition where the main character was explaining jetlag; that when she traveled it seemed like her soul took some extra time to catch up to her body. That was exactly how I felt all week. When I arrived at work Tuesday it was all a bit of a blur, but after work I got on my bike in the beautiful autumn sunshine on my way home, but first I needed to go to the supermarket and get some food where minding my own business, I was hit by a car and thrown off my bike.
Lucky for me the driver was not going very fast and that my bike suffered more damage than me, but still a major kink in my plans to relax and just chill-out when I got home.
I hardly remember Wed and Thursday other than I did not sleep very well the night in between and was very thankful for my understanding boss. But I feel great today! Maybe because it is Friday, maybe because my friend Mark is in town tomorrow and Sunday with Dido. So it will be great to hang with him and catch up. The last time I saw him was May and he was getting on a tour bus in Vancouver at the beginning of the Dido North American tour.. it will be great. And to see the crew as well, what a great bunch of guys they are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment