Friday, October 01, 2004

the Legendary Fillmore

Fillmore. 28th September.

For those of you who do not know about the Fillmore, shame on you! This is a place that has been going since the early 60’s and just about everyone has played there, Janis, Jimmy, the Doors, Grateful Dead. And the list could fill many many many pages which can be proven by the posters on the wall. The sort of 60’s style concert poster they had made for every band that would play there up until recently when they ran out of wall space, there are two levels, all wood, nice floor, arches and just some particular vibe going on. Great photographs line the wall and it is somewhat like a museum. I spoke to many people there some have worked there for over 30 years. Crazy Man.
We were not allowed in till 12 so found the nearest Starbucks and waited out the time.
I wandered around the neighborhood, went and had a shower and got ready for my day. I spent most of the day trying to figure out what I might need to bring up for selling in the venue and then just before doors I found out it was concession. So again I did not have to work. Strange to wander around. The gig was really good, h was really in his element and seemed to give it all to the crowd. Finch’s lights were great, even though he really did not like the venue for the lights.
One of the photos was taken by Jason from his guitar world, I thought it was really great.
The others I managed in such a dark room were taken from either wandering around the venue or upstairs by the dressing room balcony. I can only imagine what it might have been like to see Jim Morrison climb the balcony’s or Janis screaming it out with Big Brother.
Like I mentioned the staff were really great and friendly. I have the feeling that working there must influence you a little with the history of the place.
After we got ourselves on the bus and headed off towards Boulder. And right now we are headed into Salt Lake City so our bus driver can have his 8 hour break. Not sure what I will do but am sure that it will seem like a long time till we are moving again. The Bus should get us to Boulder sometime tomorrow morning. Hey I am living the lifestyle, obviously I am the newest on the bus so it is all brand and spanky new. The band will have just landed in Boulder and will be able to have a nice restful day.
We have finally arrived in Salt Lake City, and about the only thing I know about this place is that it is full of Mormons and the Canada won gold for ice hockey at the 2002 Olympics.
And after spending 8 hours in a ice hocky parking lot somewhere in Salt Lake City, I can tell you there there is not much of anything going on. We happen to have an giant movie theater accross the road and had dinner in a hockey pub. The best part of there was a hockey jersey in a frame there with the words Candian Mist on it. (I think its a whisky), and Shaz made the joke is that because they always "missed the goals?". The rest of the drive accross Wyoming into Colorado was uneventful and we are now in Boulder waiting for the gig. Seems like a more interesting town than SLC.





No comments:

Post a Comment