Tuesday, May 03, 2005

A little Taste of home

A busy few weeks for me, First my aunt and then my "Pseudo-Aunt" Sylvia came to visit. Sylvia is one of those people who are so full of energy and life that you can't help be brought up when you are around her. Now a little background on Syl, she rents the upstairs of my parents house for so many years now I can't actually remember when she moved in. She has been a blessing and a great addition to the family. I was telling her that over the years our family has taken in all kinds of mammals, her being almost the most normal of them all. She has been a teacher and now runs her own eco-tour company Cowichan Tours which is perfect for her as she loves to kyak, hike and adventure as often and as much as she can.
Anyway last year shortly after our visit home in May she was diagnosed with cancer and needed pretty immediate attention. Anyway needless to say she recovered through all the horrible treatments and medicine, I believe because she is so fit, healthy and positive. So she decided that it was maybe time to go home to her native England and visit her twin, family and friends with a nice little stop over in the Low countries to visit me and her niece who also lives here.

It was great, we picked her up from the airport and brought her back had dinner and got caught up. As well she loaded me up with some goodies from home; Dentyne Fire (cinnamon) gum as well as some smoked Sockeye and some maple syrup yum yum.
Then the next day my friend Fiona lent us her bike and we peddled our way into the city to the Binnenhof, Mauritshuis museum and the beautiful Vermeer's there and then on the way to Delft where we looked at all things Delft and Girl with the Pearl Earring climbed the Church tower for the fab view of half the country, it is brilliant. And of course because she is such a good talker we gossiped and chatted as much as possible.
Went for a beer and then came home to have dinner at my new favorite local down the road.
I drove her to her nieces place near Utrecht and said goodbye. I love the fact that she can go home and tell my parents about my place and my life over here in the Hague and about the crazy neighborhood I live in. Either way it is so nice to have that ability to be close to home via someone else's experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment