Friday, May 20, 2005

Terry Fox

I just got the latest Douglas Coupland book called Terry about one of Canada's and perhaps the worlds greatest hero. Terry Fox was a guy who lost his leg to cancer when he was just 18, he then decided to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research. However after 18 months and running over 5,000 kilometers (3,107 miles) an amazing 2/3 the way across the country, the cancer took him again and he was forced to stop the run.
On September 1st, after 143 days and 5,373 kilometers (3,339 miles), Terry was forced to stop running outside of Thunder Bay, Ontario because cancer had appeared in his lungs. An entire nation was stunned and saddened. Terry passed away on June 28, 1981 at age 22.
I remember clearly this time in 1980 when he was doing this amazing feat, it all seemed so impossible, it was so selfless.
I have always loved everything Douglas Coupland does and he has a way of speaking through his words that touches, and I have not even read more than 3 pages and already I have tears in my eyes.
I strongly urge anyone reading this to support some kind of research and betterment for the world weather it be donating money or doing a selfless act. I also just read that all the royalties from the sale of the book will go directly to the Terry Fox Foundation as well the publishers Douglas & McIntyre are make the royalty payments at twice the normal rate for every copy of the book sold.
To date, more than $360 million has been raised worldwide for cancer research in Terry's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment