Thursday, March 31, 2005

What happened??

I have been off work for the last 3 weeks between contracts right now.. And boy did I need the time off... Not actually having any down time since last May when I was home for 3 weeks. I have now been living in Europe officially so long that the idea of a measly 2 week holiday a year is a HUGE joke. Why is it that North Americans accept the 2 week standard? I just don't get it and 2 weeks is just not enough time to recover and be charged to go back to work.
Even with my minor contract I start with a standard 25 holidays a year, not including the bank holidays (if we are lucky). Holland has these holidays every year:
Easter Monday, Queens Day, Ascention Day, Whit Monday, (every 5 years) Liberation Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day. That's it and all she wrote folks. And to add insult to injury this year Queens Day falls on a Sat, Ascention and Liberation Day both fall on May 5th (so doubled holiday) and Christmas and New Years both also fall on Sat. Bummer. So aside from the couple of holidays in May coming up that's all she wrote.
But off on a tangent there, I was in the UK for a week, partly for the Marillion Weekend and the rest of the time to drive around and see many sights Authorian and visit some special friends in Oxford. And the following two weeks. I have done almost nothing. Its mad but I am now down to my last two days, and I have the sneaking suspicion that I have done nothing. I have gone to the gym, rode my bike around the Hague, done laundry and watched some movies and looked for a vanity for the bedroom (they don't exist here). Jacco was over on Sat where I made a Huge curry meal and we watched Chocolate.
What else? Normally I would have been off in Germany visiting some friends and spending Q-time there. But nope, here I am in my beautiful new apartment and watching Discovery civilization's Great Egyptians.
So today, I better make the most of it, even though the weather is pretty crappy I might just ride off to Delft and maybe even Ikea cause they have those ultra cute dragonfly lights again that Inga bought for me last year and I want another set.
Oh and I got my FATBOY beanbag this weekend... the coolest thing ever. On Monday I had the feeling that I was going to go crazy staying in the house one more second while Michiel sorted through his paperwork and cables (still not complete).And although apparently the Easter weekend in Holland is the absolute WORST time you can go to such a store I ventured to the Mega Stores in Den Haag because Trendhopper was having a special on the Fatboy. I could not decide on Red, Pink or Lime Green. So I went with Dark Grey.
And we had to also choose a new laptop for me, cause this little baby is just not cutting it these days... and I need some more space to be able to edit photos... another thing I meant to do while on holiday was put up my photos online.. that will happen I do promise, cause I have to sort through my 600+ photos from the weekend and edit and send them off to the Webs around the world. The latest Web NL mag came yesterday packed with my photos. Coolness.
I better go if I am going to get out of the house before noon....

No comments:

Post a Comment