Friday, March 18, 2005

Butlins I: The Norwegians

We left NL late in the afternoon of Thursday to get to the Ferry at the Hoek of Holland because we had heard there were some problems with the Calais ferry service.. and boy did we make a good choice.. Friday turned out to be a strike in France and many of our friends traveling from the continent ended up getting chucked on the Chunnel.
But we spent the night in a little travel lodge and were well rested for the weekend ahead of us. En route we stopped for lunch at Glastonbury where we promptly ran into Henk & Ces at the same cafe.
And then got towards Minehead where the line up of cars was quite scary, so we stopped at the Tesco to get it over with and ran in to Angie. The store was crawling with Freaks so we did our shopping and headed back to sign in and get our selves settled in made some chow and headed over to the gig.
After taking some photos from the opening bands, I went off to the bar where I promptly ran into Karen & CO. from DC who then informed me that my friend Andy (from London) was also there. Then I ran into my favorite Norwegian, Andreas. Who gave me a invite to one of their legendary afterhour parties.
The Marillion gig was great to hear and see Marbles again, I had heard the set so many times last year, but as always it is nice to see them do something you have not heard ever.
I must day after meeting with some people and catching up I went back to the apartment left my camera gear and headed off to Lagoon bay and who knows what to expect. Got there and people were already spilling out of the apartment onto the sidewalk. Now I am not sure if it was on purpose that they were at the farthest part of the resort and next the the chapel but it was a rager. I went inside and was introduced to Stein Andreas's cousin who was mixing the cocktails. Great guy, and a good laugh.
I met people from the all walks of life and strangeness and a sweet young couple from Scotland who are the newest converts I have met in a while. The music was a mix of OLD and new. Even though I was trying to play the devils advocate and telling them to turn off that shitty old proggy music... (You can guess what it was I am sure) but the crazy thing is I meant every word. But it was great to see these guys really uninhibited playing air guitar and singing full blast along with it. I happened to be the last person there who was not Norwegian and headed home as the birds were chirping.

No comments:

Post a Comment