Friday, March 18, 2005

Butlins II: The Welsh

Having only had a few hours sleep and having to get on with the day I floated around in a great and very buoyant mood, lets face it I was probably still drunk. We went to the beach for a look, a trip back over to Tesco's and ran into Finchy outside the merch hut and we sat in the cold sun and had a nice little chat before we headed back to the chalet to have a bite to eat and get ready for the gig. As for Finchy it was his last live gig with the band it was a little melancholy even for me who have known him for ages and always found him to be such a sweetheart. The Melancholy feeling was even more so on the Sunday when he handed over the proverbial reigns to the new lighting guy to see how he would do.
I did not see the other guys from the party till later that night but Stein told me that they to had made made it to the beach like myself and unlike myself got stuck in the mud.
The first band was Erik's band who did well, but I think they had never played live before so seemed a little stiff and to be honest although I thought the songs were good, they really could have used someone in the lineup who can sing.
Kid G were Amazing! I really thought they were one of the best opening bands Marillion have ever had and I could easily see them becoming HUGE in the future. We made a deal with the singer to Swap some photos for some music. Good deal for us. After that was a really bubbly singer songwriter. you could see h sitting on Marks riser enjoying the show both for her and Kid G.
Then came Swap the Band, where there was a great rant on h's part about everyone being Welsh.. the first guitar player was really cute. 20 years old and his knees were knocking like crazy, the highlights were for me, that guy, the Armstrong's, and of course the killer of the night... The guy who sang Fugazi.. holy shit nobody could believe it including the band how well the song was sung including the band.. I have heard comments from some mentioning that even back in the day the BIG man could not have sang it so well. And WoW was the crowd amazing, I have not yet had a look at my photos but I can bet that none of them are in focus because I could not hold the camera or myself still.
When that was all over, the band came back and did a few really nice numbers and called it a night... Eventually. After being threatened that they would close the place down because the ceiling below us was bending and throbbing like it was alive and they were afraid that it might come crashing down on the square dancers below.
I considered going back to the Norwegians but called it a earlier night so I would not waste the whole day on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment