Thursday, November 18, 2004

Es wird Morgan

The weekend was everything I thought it would be and more: relaxing, fun, and stimulating . We arrived on Friday evening and got settled then went in search of beverages and food. Berlin seems to be a Jever city.. Very good!
After settling on Mexican food and some cocktails we headed off to meet Jens at the party he got us on the list for. It was not the best example of the DJ I have heard but it was really nice to get caught up with him, Matthius and Nadia. We left around 6:30 am. After some sleep we decided not to waste the entire day and headed off for coffee and some sights. Starting in Kreuzberg and heading to the more famous Fredrickstrasse, where I stocked up on some Starbucks and wandered down Unter den Linden, this is the biggest street in Berlin that connects the Brandenberg Gate to Alexander Platz with all the museams and soviet building in between.. And then we ran into Martine, a friend from Bremen who happend to be walking down the street with her boyfriend... "Das Welt is klein!" a small world indeed!
We walked all the way to Alex and then undergrounded it back to my friends apartment where we got ready to go to the concert. Both of us not feeling out best due to lack of sleep and some perhaps dodgy food from the night before. But as it happened the concert hall was just up the road a few blocks from where we were staying so it was a nice surprise.
When we got to the Columbia Halle, there already was a large crowd outside. It seems all we learn about German efficiency is not up to par here as the doors were open already for one hour, but in saying that the crowd was not pushing or shoving, and EVERYONE gave you enough room to stand.. as slow moving as it was we all got inside eventually. Too bad the venue seemed unprepaired for the cold weather and the coat check was full, so we bought teeshirts and stood in line for drinks and then moved around till we found a suitable spot near the back where we could see and not be to squished and still have to hang onto our jackets.
It was perfect because Inga the singer started the concert standing right next to us in the crowd with a flashlight on her head, security gaurd in front and guitarplayer in back... she is so tiny! Anyway, needless to say the concert was really great and fun, the Songs they sing are quite upbeat and fun and the stage show however simple is exaclty right. They reminded me a bit of Lamb on stage with the interaction and vibe... only thing really different was the guitar player seemed to be not very good, at all! But oh well I danced and sang to all the songs that I knew and had a good time despite the bum notes. Afterwards Jacco decided to stay home the rest of the night and get caught up on some sleep, But I headed out to Prenzlauerberg to join the same friends at a Birthday party being held in a small bar. I also got to see another dear friend, Sandra who was not the happiest of campers at this moment but despite that we were happy to catch up.
I find it interesting how some friendships can develop over the years depending on how you yourself grow as a person. Jens and I have a connection because we were partners for several years, and at the end of it were both so sad because we knew it was not working and not because we did not love each other it was just so! It has taken some adjustments over the 5+ years since we seperated to realise what we have still in our friendship, and how precious it is. I really have the feeling that I can call him one of my closest and dearest friends in the world, and I think he might have the same opinion of me. I am so lucky to have him and the other close and dear friends that I do, even if I don't see them as often as I would like to.
Either way, the trip home was somewhat uneventfull and of course back to work as usual. I have however booked tickets to Berlin for New Years, we did it 2 years ago and had a great time. Despite the amazing display of fireworks and noise makers that people seem to love throwing their money away on. I hope that it will be another great Berlin experince.

No comments:

Post a Comment