Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Iain Banks

I have friends, who for years have been telling me I should read this Scottish author Iain Banks, both fiction and Sci-Fiction books and for some odd reason I have not, until now.

Only the book I picked up years ago was neither. It was a non-fiction book on whisky, to be precise on finding the perfect whisky whilst driving up down and all around Scotland Raw Spirit; In search of the Perfect Dram, and including in his story telling are tales of cars, friends, escapades and many miss-adventures.. I have been laughing A LOT while reading this book, out loud and over and over... his style is exactly right for my funny bone.

So in honor of not even finishing the book (yet!) and planning a wee trip to the West Coast of Scotland (very very soon) I bought a bottle of Bowmore Single Malt 12 year old en route to the UK last weekend. A quick note on the Bowmore, from Islay. Salty is my first impression. I little more peat than my usual Speyside favourites but still a very nice whisky non-the-less.

Which has since become well dented after an evening in the Kelly-Moxham household on Friday. Several beers, 3 bottles of wine and rounded off with the lovely single Malt, between 4 adults and a house full of kids the bright and early the next morning was a great way to introduce a good hangover to all 4 adults involved. However, I could not think of a nicer birthday morning to be had as I was sung happy birthday in Spanish, English and the Sun will come out tomorrow by two enthusiastic kids, Gabriella and Tallulah. A very lucky me indeed!

I am hoping that whilst in Scotland I can find another bottle of the 1990 Clynelish Signatory Vintage which has been one of my best (and most expensive finds to date in Whisky). But other favourites as Dalwhinnie or Aberlour (which my friend Fiona introduced me to a few years back). But as I am discovering there are hundreds to choose from and not being a huge fan of a lot of peat I am guessing I could be still tasting whisky's for years before trying them all.

And other than that I will begin on the Wasp Factory as it has been sitting on my shelf for several years now (also courtsey of Fiona) as soon as I am done this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment