Saturday, May 16, 2009

I Don't mean to be rude, BUT!

I had yet another delightful in-sight into the Fabulous and Fantastic Dutch Customer Service recently.
I was in a shop in the Hague called STEPS, I had bought 2 dresses not knowing which one I preferred and took both knowing Helen would have a answer for me.
Have checked carefully the return policy I brought the dress back within the 8 days they allow, having tried both on a total of twice.
As soon as I brought one of the dresses out of the bag the sales clerk started going over it with a fine eye picking at minuscule specks and then informed me because I said specks she could not return the dress but would have to ask her manager and if I would be so kind as to come back in 10 min. Which I did.
The manager seemed to be informed of my return and started humming and hawing over the condition of the article, checking the receipt and counting off on her fingers how many days had passed and then took the dress into the back room, for what I do not have a clue. Returning a few min later saying to me,
"I would normally not give you your money back as the dress is in this condition and ask you to take a coupon for the shop".
To which I said, "but I already bought another dress from here and do not want anything else."
She then said "I don't mean to be rude, BUT it smells!" My reply being that it has been sitting in the bag you gave me since I bought it and well the smell is not my problem.
Her reply was "No, I mean it smells of you!".
My mouth agape I said "Excuse Me!?" She said well some people have that 'problem'.
I will take my money thank you, later wishing I had told her that she was being bloody rude and she could then return both dresses.
Having to share such a wonderful experience I called Helen. Who told a story of the same manager in the same store a few weeks earlier that she was also looking for a dress and one of the sales girls was being very helpful and the manager had come along and in hearing distance said to her sales girl. "Don't waste so much time on her, She is not worth it I can tell".

Good management training program Steps has got. I find it shocking how rude and un thoughtful some people can be. And if this was a once-off experience I might not be so amazed. But things like this happen all the time in the Netherlands, so when you find a great sales team, shops, restaurant and so on, you keep going back. I written to Steps and complained, not that I expect anything to happen but it is better than stewing in the anger. They incidentally enough did not have an option for complaints, unless I missed the translation in Dutch and Compliment is the same meaning.

On the other hand I then went across the road to the Beijnkorf to have some shoe therapy and meet with a friend and was helped by a really nice sales clerk whom I have dealt with before. After finding by coincidence a really great pair of red wedge sandals I made sure to tell her it was a pleasure dealing with her as I had just had a terrible experience with someone else and she is and has always done a great job.

So my Hague friends, if you are tempted by the new Steps collection, be forewarned! It's a jungle out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment