Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Abigail's Party

Happy New Years everyone. I have been really lame this holiday season with hardly any Christmas greeting via postal services or email and for that I am sorry if anyone feels hurt or offended it has just not crossed my mind.

To continue; My last few days at home in Canada were spent in Vancouver with my older brother Chris, his wonderful partner Freya and my dear friends Jen and Merlyn.
As I was only there for a couple of days we made the most of it. I arrived in the evening of the 27th from the Island. Met up with Chris and went for a sushi dinner on Davie street, it was not that good but passable. Then we had a couple of cocktails and back to his place to watch a movie. Freya got in from her shift around 2-230 and we opened a bottle of wine and next thing I knew it was 430 in the morning.
The next day we went over the bridge to Yogapantsilano to look for some Lululemon yoga gear for Helen that I did not get in Victoria on boxing day after standing in line to shop.... Now I can't remember if I have talked about this brand before but it was created by a couple of genius people in Vancouver; who as legend has it met snowboarding on one of the local ski hills and decided that there was just not enough good Yoga clothes in the world. So they created a monster. This brand can be seen on so many bums, heads and shirts you would not believe it unless you saw it.
The crazy thing is that the products which are really quite expensive are really really good and well made with high durability and tons of wash and wear... Anyway this is not an advert my story for the day goes like this. After some window shopping we went for more sushi before both Chris and Freya went to work. I would meet with Freya later when she got off her shift and not long after Chris would join us before we headed on a cocktail and small plate tour of a few choice restaurants.
I wandered around the city and then made my way back to kits where Freya worked to try some of her wonderful cocktail inventions at Abigail's Party where she got to invent the cocktail list which you can find via the link on the title. She is great!
Check these out... Dangerous Liaisons: Woodford reserve bourbon, vanilla bean infused Cognac, sweet vermouth, chilies, honey. Directions: sprinkle chilies at the bottom of glass, take ice cubes, pour bourbon, cognac, sweet vermouth and then the honey, which will slide to the bottom of the glass and stick the chilies to the bottom giving you a sweet and spicy kick...
After we went back across the bridge to Nu, where their friend Jay worked as the bartender and cocktail chef. He fed us with some great cocktails and food and wine, then back to their place for more wine with some of the rif-raf we met at Nu. Next thing we knew it was 4;30 again.
The next morning I was a little worse for wear and slipped out to get some coffee and fresh air. Back to the apartment and after the other two woke went for a walk downtown and the other two went to work while I waited for Jen and Merlyn to meet up and we went back to Kitsilano to Hell's Kitchen where Freya works as well. Some great ceasers and food a few more drinks and then Jen, Merlyn and I got some beers and went to Chris and Freya's place for some more drinks and chats before they left and I finished packing.
The morning came all to quickly and I was up and getting ready to go and catch my ride to the airport. Chris came with me and had some breakfast and I jumped in a cab to get to the airport.
The flight was uneventful although I got little sleep and arrived in Holland to really cold weather and preparations for New Years eve. I was supposed to go to Bremen for the night but I could not imagine getting on a train for 4.5 hours and then partying all night. So I stayed in the Hague and went to a house party of some friend who live smack in the middle of town and brought in the New Year with some fine drinks and friends.
Now back at work, it was a great blur of a memory to be home for the holidays to hang out with my family and friends. Sadly I did not get to see everyone I would have liked to but I guess you can't win them all.
On a side note I was watching something on the BBC and it was a guy talking about his favorite TV and music and one movie he mentioned was Abigail's Party I guess it was a cult classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment